Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Re-Designing the Silkeborg

In my transformation , I'm going to focus mainly on re-designing the circulation and movement throughout the museum. When I studied the circular ramps initially, I decided that the longer ramps would take too long to move around. Instead of this, I am going to propose a lift system where four glass elevators will move up and down between numerous platforms. The transparency of the elevator shafts will allow a unique view of the bowls of the Silkeborg, the four lifts working together will allow swift movement without congestion. Also, the floors of the Silkeborg will be more like floating platforms staggered in uneven steps. Smaller ramps will connect the outer layers of platform that are away from the main shafts. Not only will artworks be hung on the curved faces of the walls, but also hang in mid air off the platforms, just out of reach of the viewer. Mood lighting will fall on the art which will seem to hover over the deep abyss below.

Apart from the circulation system, I will keep the "shell" similar to Utzon's initial design.

No comments: